Thursday, May 5, 2011

Blueberry Buttermilk Cornbread

Cornbread with blueberries?  I thought this was a strange combo when I first saw it, but I just love cornbread and my husband has an undying love for blueberries.  My favorite way to eat cornbread is with apple butter spread on it, so I thought I would try it with another fruit.  Sure enough, blueberries and cornbread belong together just as much as apple butter and cornbread!  I made this to go with supper as a bread/dessert, but it would be fantastic for breakfast too.  All you cornbread lovers out there, try this immediately!


Melt a stick of butter in the microwave.


Quickly add in one cup of sugar and stir.


Add two eggs and quickly stir the mixture again.


Pour in one cup of  buttermilk and stir.  If you do not have buttermilk you can use regular milk and add a tiny bit of distilled white vinegar to it.  I never have buttermilk, so I use the milk and vinegar method all the time.  After the buttermilk is added and the mixture is stirred, fold in the dry ingredients just until the mixture is blended together.


This is a muffin top pan.  It is the greatest pan ever!  My sister bought it for me for Christmas, and it can be used for giant cookies, cornbread, and muffins.  Pour the cornbread batter into the pan.  A regular muffin tin or an 8x8 in. baking dish can also be used.  Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-15 minutes if you are using the muffin top pan or a muffin tin.


Spread with butter and enjoy.  It is best when warm.


Blueberry Buttermilk Cornbread1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup blueberries

Melt the butter in a large microwavable bowl. Quickly add in the sugar and mix everything together. Then add in the eggs and quickly mix them up.
Pour in the buttermilk and stir. Then add in the dry ingredients and fold the ingredients together. Be careful not to overmix.
Add in the blueberries and fold them in.
Pour the batter into a lightly greased 8 by 8 inch baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Cool on a cooling rack and cut into squares. Enjoy!
Source: Gingerbread Bagels

No comments:

Post a Comment